Sunday, November 2, 2008

USAF Air Show

1 Nov 2008
Today we spent all day at the air show. It started at 10:30 and went till about 4:30 and we saw some really cool stuff. The weather was really nice - about 80 degrees - but the sun was pretty hot. I'm the only one who got a sunburn because I forgot to put lotion on my neck - oops - it's not that bad though. We saw helicopters, F-15's (way too loud for Derek), parachuters, a hang glider that was being towed by a truck, some stunt/trick planes that would fly way up in the air and then fall until they were just about to crash and then fly off, F-22's (amazing and also too loud for Derek), a Harrier jet, a recreation of the bombing of Pearl Harbor, and the Navy Blue Angels (F-18's). We also got to go inside the very first Air Force One (the one the Kennedy's used) and eat some $6.00 hot dogs (way better than $.50 hot dogs). Nancy came with us for the first hour but then she had to catch a cab back to the airport to go home to Utah. We were glad she came to visit and do some trick-or-treating with the kids on Halloween night.
These are the costumes that the kids wore to the USO Halloween party.
Derek wore the camo for trick-or-treating but Tyler wore this. I stayed home to give out candy but Jared and Nancy told me that he scared all the other kids.


These are the Blue Angels flying by us - really, really close. It was hard to get a good picture because they were so close and so fast!
Here are the Blue Angels again a little further away.
Obviously this is not one of the actual Doolittle Raiders,
as anyone who has seen the end of Pearl Harbor already knows.

We especially like the "Use of Deadly Force Authorized" part.
Derek was holding his ears most of the time - even when the planes weren't flying.

The USAF Heritage Flight. It includes the P-40 Warhawk, F-15E Strike Eagle, F-16 Fighting Falcon and F-22 Raptor.

The Harrier jet flying sideways then rotating in mid-air.

F-22 doing a controlled backward-slide.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool pictures.
I'm wondering how the P-40 managed to keep up with the F-22, or vice-versa. Seems like the P-40's top speed would be close to the F-22's stall speed!

Spooky costume, Tyler!

I think I would have been like Derek, holding my hands over my ears.

rebecca said...

that's a super-creepy halloween costume for tyler, and i'm amazed he could keep the mask on. i always felt sweaty and suffocated when i had to wear one.

Pam and David said...

The pictures of Tyler and Derek are great and I am happy to hear that you are haveing great weather, but I think I don't want to know anything more about San Antonio gas prices!
Grandma thinks that Tyler is the best spook ever!

Jared said...

The F-22 is pretty much incapable of stalling, as shown in the last video, where the jet flys up at a steep angle, stops, then executes a controlled backward slide for a hundred yards or so before nosing-over and flying again. The Raptor seemed almost capable of turning mid-air on its horizontal access. It was amazing, and utterly silent (until it had passed you, at least).

Michael and Michelle said...

Happy Halloween Guys!! Looks like you had a fun time Trick or Treating & on Saturday!! We grew up going to the air shows @ Miramar in San Diego! It is Amazing!-(and loud). Suz I love your wreath!!

Kay said...

Wow. Jas and I are amazed by the planes. The Raptor looked like a spaceship the way it could hoover. I didn't know there was anything that could do that. Jason wants to go to an airshow now.