Monday, May 25, 2009

Our New House - Probably

25 May 2009
So I promised to post some good things about Minot. Well here's one - our new house. Apparently the people in Minot haven't heard that there's a recession or a housing slump so houses are going up in value (20% in the last year) and are selling 1 day after they go on the market. There were only 10 or so houses that cost less than $200k and I saw them all the Satuday I was there. The realtor told me that I should pick one and put in an offer because they would all be sold by the end of week and then I would need to come back later. I wasn't so sure she was right but I picked one anyway and put in an offer. Luckily it was slightly better than the other offer they got (again, after being on the market for only 36 hours) and we started the wonderful mortgage loan process. There are some hiccups because of our student loan balances but hopefully the loan will go through okay and we'll be good.

The house is really nice and was the only one I saw with a two-car garage (no engine block heaters for us - it's heated!) It is 1800 sq ft and has 4 levels and 4 bedrooms. The yard is pretty big and there's lots of room for a playset and a garden. The two downsides are the location (right next to the university and student housing) and the master bedroom (about the same size as our bed). Here are some pictures.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does the house come partially furnished, or are those from the previous occupants? I see a sectional sofa, a dining room table, a fridge and a barbecue -- surely those aren't part of the deal. The house seems well cared-for, and looks like it will be a good place to raise kids. Don't know as I'd like the stairs very much - you'll need some baby gates in place for a while. Hope it works out!

Nathan said...

And I can't help but wonder why in the world Minot's housing market is doing so splendidly... But, I'm glad you were able to find a place anyway.

Suzie said...

No - the furniture doesn't come with. The other owners actually still live there and will until July.

Michael and Michelle said...

Awesome!!! You'll NEED ALL those levels and rooms for the winter!!! SO you can run and mlock yourself in one while the kids take over!!!