Saturday, August 14, 2010

First Baptist Church

13 Aug 2010

This Friday the 13th turned out to be a really good day. I went to Dilley for my first day of work. I had to get up really early (5:45) but I got there on time and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I was there for the district's new teacher orientation. I met all the other new teachers and the district staff. They are all so nice and friendly and I felt so welcome. The superintendent (who shall hereafter be referred to as the supernintendo) conducted the meetings. I thought it was pretty neat that the district was so small that the supernintendo could be there to meet and talk with us personally. He is super nice, has a PhD in education is a born-and-bread Texan.
I wish I could say more...
The local First Baptist Church invited us to their building for lunch. It was so cool. It was just like a Mormon funeral luncheon except subtract the funeral and add in a drawing for gifts and prizes donated by local businesses. We had a really long blessing on the food and everything (I was the only one folding my arms and bowing my head - I know 'cause I peeked.) I got TONS of loot because Jared wasn't there and they gave me all his stuff to take home. Here is the picture of my stuff. Jared had just as much plus about $100 in gift cards to local fast food places and HEB. Notice the logo on the shopping bag. I wish I could say more...
After lunch we met some more staff and then went out behind the district building to learn how to put out fires with fire extinguishers. The janitor built a BIG fire using two-by-fours and gasoline. Most of the extinguishers he had for us to use worked pretty good. The one I got wouldn't shut off so I put my fire out really really good. I wish I could say more...

Afterward I went to my classroom. It's baby blue, has boards on some of the windows and I couldn't figure out how to turn on the AC (the controller must be in another room). It's a really old building but it'll be just fine. I should have taken a picture but I didn't think to. I'll have to get lots more pictures later.

I'm so excited to come back to work on Mon with Jared and start working on our curriculum. We've only got next week to get ready and then school starts on the 23rd :)

No comments: