Thursday, January 1, 2009

Cooper's Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que

[Jared] One of my New Year's Resolutions is to patronize establishments which share my name. I couldn't shop for jewelry at Jared's, so I settled for a an evening of BBQ at Cooper's. Texas is littered with these little pit BBQ joints. Eating there is a lot like dropping in on a family reunion, you typically eat off a slab of butcher-paper and sit at picnic-tables, and the food is A-maz-ing. Suzie got pork ribs and I got beef--wow. Makes me sort of regret growing up in Utah where our only culinary distinctions are fry-sauce and green-jello with carrots. Then again, San Antonio was declared by the American Obesity Association as the fattest city in the United States (I can see why, they can seriously cook down here).
Suzie thought she'd pick up a few Coopers to go.
I, on the other hand, couldn't leave without getting a hat and a T-Shirt. I know there's some big fans of Trucker hats who follow this blog, big ups!
One of Suzie's resolutions is to eat a Chimichanga, which is actually harder than one might think. Apparently, Chimichangas are considered Cal-Mex, not Tex-Mex. If anyone can find a joint online in SA where Suzie can get her Chimi-fix, we'd be obliged!

Tyler hijacked our white board and made a list of his favorite things called 'Tyler's Goods.' He started with 'video games,' then filled the rest in. Notably missing is Derek, oh well, c'est la guerre.
Suzie and I had to go to the Commissary (grocery-store in civilian language), and I saw this:

Shelf-stable Egg Nog! This stuff doesn't expire until Spring 2010! That way, when Armegeddon hits, I'll be sittin' pretty sippin' my Nog, while all you chumps are trying to keep the government from taking your guns and silver coins! It doesn't taste great, but it's not horrible either. We also tried Southern Comfort Egg Nog (we decided to not add the whiskey), which was good, but had a heavy nutmeg flavor. The best we tried this season was Hill-Country Farms (or something like that) from WalMart--Smooth, thick, sweet-but-not-sugary.

*Sigh* now onto boring old January.

7 comments:

rebecca said...

sad day for derek. he can be on my list.
and that is a rockin' trucker hat.

Joseph said...

Emily's new year's resolutions are to chew her food and use more words and less grunts.

Anonymous said...

It will be interesting to see how long Holly (and for that matter, Dad and Mom) stay on the list. Little sisters can be a nuisance - just like little (and big) brothers. And if you've never been hated by a child, you've never been a parent. But, like you say, c'est la guerre.

hayley said...

The hat and t-shirt actually look cool:) I don't think we would have any luck finding "old time van beevers:)" As for that egg nog, hopefully will doesn't check your blog because he might be begging for an order of those cans!

Anonymous said...

Jared you are so funny. I can't believe that you found shelf-egg nog! I'm stocked up on shelf milk because I think it's cool. We have powdered milk too, more of that actually. But I got whole milk shelf-milk when Noah turned one in case somethign happens, he can still get his high fat milk for his growing brain! LOL I love following your guys' blog. So you know... when you don't hear from me for a while, don't think I'm not thinking of you. I'm just down the street enjoying reading your adventures! I think I'm going to start walking to see Holly, I'll burn some calories and get a reward at the end!

The Maughans said...

I love the "Cooper's to GO", our last name only allows for wished-for children to be humiliated; the beloved Pokey Maughan, Digi Maughan, WhoseThe Maughan, and don't forget Hey Maughan.
I'm super jealous of your weather too!

Michael and Michelle said...

Jared you KILL me!! I can't stop laughing!! Yep in all my time in good 'ol Te-haas I never saw a Felldog BBQ, but they do have a Papa'a BBQ and that is muy excellente!-it's not mexican, I just couldn't loose the accent. No idea about the chimi's though- let me know if you go to San Diego- there are a couple places there.