Okay so since we aren't moving this month like we'd planned. The kids and I decided to sell all my stampin up stamps and use the money to buy a sandbox. We've been working on it all week and it is finally finished. Yay! The kids really love it and it will be nice for them to be able to play outside for a few hours a day without getting sunburns or ant bites. (Plus the grass will all be dead soon because of the drought and the stage 3 water restrictions. We are only allowed to water the lawn for one hour every other Monday.) Here is our sandbox diary.
This is Tyler's first attempt at taking a picture of Derek and I putting the sandbox together. Ralphie looks like a hot dog despite his summer haircut.
This is Tyler's second attempt at taking a picture of Derek and I putting the sandbox together.
This is Tyler's third attempt at taking a picture of Derek and I putting the sandbox together.
This is Tyler's fourth attempt at taking a picture of Derek and I putting the sandbox together. Ralphie still looks hot.
This is Tyler's fifth and finally sucessful attempt at taking a picture of Derek and I putting the sandbox together.
This is my first attempt at taking a picture of Tyler spazing out and Derek smiling in a very obedient way.
Thursday: I got some plastic and stapled it into the bottom of the sandbox. I know, I know, it will hold in moisure and the wood isn't pressure treated, blah blah blah. I don't care. We only need the box to last 5 months and the plastic's only job is to keep the sand from sliding out from under the box. I don't care if water can't seep out. It will evaporate - probably. I mean it's 105 degrees out there and it's only rained once in four months. Thursday night we borrowed our friends' truck and went to Lowe's to get the sand.
Friday: The kids and I carted the sand from the driveway to the back yard and filled up the sandbox. This picture is for real. We had 17 bags of sand that weighed 50 lbs. each and the kids moved three of them all on their own! I was very proud. The other 14 bags however, made me very very hot, tired and sweaty.



4 comments:
The sandbox my dad made for us kids was one of our favorite places to play -- which is odd, since we lived in a desert, and the sand stretched for miles in most directions.
We built a sandbox under the big tree in our back yard, too. Biggest problem was keeping cats from using it as a bathroom (eeew). Also - a number of toys were buried forever there. Nathan and Stephanie are still finding them.
I love the photo-journal; especially Tyler's adventures in picture-taking. You guys rock for taking on such a project in such hot weather!
These kids are so spoiled. Suzie's a great carpenter, and all that sand will come in handy to weigh-down the trunk of the Mustang if we go to Minot!
There is something just absolutely magical about a bunch of dirt. I mean seriously - God must love kids a whole lot to take the coolest toy, and cover the whole earth with it.
You guys look like you're having fun. Stephanie and I miss you all!
What a great epic tale of hard work, fun and sacrifice! I love sandboxes and this looks like one of the greatest. We love you all, dig in!
Post a Comment