Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hurricane Dolly

24 July 2008

Happy 24th of July everyone!!! I remember when we lived in downtown Salt Lake and the 24th of July parade was a really big deal. Here in Texas saying "Happy 24th of July" to someone makes about as much sense as "Happy 23rd of July." Oh well, it's a holiday in Utah and that's all that matters. Most of the people in my ward are from Utah so they will appreciate it.

Jared actually took the following picture a while ago for the blog. We found this house on a little drive that we took around Medina Lake. See if you can spot the following unique features: 1) single-wide trailer 2) pineapple fence posts 3) human skull 4) tree growing through the roof.
It's CRAZY!!! I'm Brian Fellow.
The Salvation Army came today and took away all of our old furniture so that we could finially move around in the living room again. For the last few weeks we've had 4 couches and I don't even know how many tables all crowded together in there. I worked all day arranging the furniture and putting up the curtains and some decorations. I will work on the dining room next and put those pictures up soon. I am still missing two chairs (backordered) so it might be a few days.

It actually looks better in person than it does in the photo.
I was talking to my mom and she was a little worried about the hurricane. I don't know what kind of press it is getting in Utah but here it's on every network channel every 20 minutes. It isn't going rain very much here in San Antonio, they just say that we'll get scattered showers. Note however that a "scattered shower" in Texas is more like a waterfall falling on your house (or car if you're driving) for 15 or 20 minutes.

Here is a video of some rain outside our house. This might be boring to you (mostly because you can't really see the rain) - but I think it's awesome. I really like rain because it's so cool and refreshing. Wait - it's cool and refreshing in Utah. In Texas it is a little bit more sweaty and steamy. Oh well, I like it anyway.
Bad thing about rain: it turns out that all the rain and humidity has actually rusted the rear brake shoes to the inside of the drums on the yellow Focus making it impossible to disengage the emergency brake. The car won't move AT ALL! My dad said to take off the wheels and hit the drums with a hammer to loosen the rust. I might just wait for Jared to come home and make him do it.
Polygamist Update: They were gone all day today (darn it!) But you can see their house in the above photo. It's the 2-story red brick home in the top right-hand corner.

5 comments:

Kay said...

Cute, cute job on your living room! I think your house is awesome. I'm happy to hear you didn't need to board up any windows or dig out a storm cellar for shelter from Dolly. It's on the news here a lot and this morning I saw footage of people huddled in dark hotel hallways waiting for power to turn back on. Sounds like a crummy vacation. Or crummy that their house blew down and now they have to sit in a hotel till the storm is over. Anyway, glad you're safe!

Suzie said...

Yeah. The lights blinked once and I saw a garbage can getting washed down the street but that's about it.

DJ said...

If the news here in Utah is covering "Dolly" I haven't heard any of it. Your rain vedio is nice but I want to see some of that rain where you can't see the houses across the street.

The Maughans said...

I'm totally with you - Texas rain is crazy! It's funny how they report rain in different areas of the country, if a cloud passes over Phoenix there's a flash flood watch.
I love the living room, super nice!

Amanda said...

I noticed that our special gift to you has been replaced on the mantle by those red jars. I have to say, I'm kind of offended. I hope it still has a place of honor in your home.