Friday, July 25, 2008

Lobster Dinner

25 July 2008
Today we went grocery shopping at the HEB and Tyler asked if we could get a lobster out of the lobster tank. (He actually asks if we can get everything he sees.) Well, I've always been a big lobster fan and lately I've been inspired by the Food Network so I said "yes." $19.56 later we were home with our 1.25 lb lobster. It took some coaxing to convince Tyler to pick up "Pinchey" as he came to be called.
Thanks to the "How to Cook Everything" America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook - we had a perfectly steamed lobster 13 minutes later.
After a little bit of work and quite a bit more squirting than I thought there would be - we had approx 5 oz of premium lobster meat. I was actually pretty suprised by how easy it was to get the meat out. I have ordered lobster like 3 or 4 times at restraunts and it always seems like it's a giant ordeal to get all the meat out of the tail. This time however (per the book's instructions) I just broke off the back tail fins and pushed the meat out through the big end with a fork. It slid right out! Maybe it's the fact that it was so fresh. The claws were really easy too. I just broke them in half and the meat fell out. Tyler was disappointed by all the fuss we made over such a small plate of food.
It turns out that Tyler doesn't really like lobster (but he still likes shrimp - he told me that like 400 times). So I got to eat all of it - yay! I especially liked the claws - which I didn't think would be as good as they were. It was super!
Polygamist Update: I saw the dad and the "other woman" at the HEB today and they were holding hands. They are DEFINATELY together. However, I haven't seen any of the kids or the first lady since that one morning last week. Weird....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first reaction to the story was that $20 for a meal you still had to cook for yourself was a bit steep. But the last photo made up for it. Tyler's expression as he holds the plate is priceless! You would have paid more than that at a portrait studio and not had nearly as cute a picture, and this way you got to eat and enjoy the studio props! We sure miss you guys!

Suzie said...

I actually think that food is better when I cook it - especially this lobster. I will definately cook all of my lobster at home from now on. (Right - because we have lobster all the time ;)

Jared said...

I can't believe that Tyler actually picked up that huge bug. Gross.