Thursday, July 3, 2008

I Might Need Some Mom Lessons

3 Jul 2008
I went to college for 7 years to learn how to be an accountant and things worked out really well. However, in the meantime I somehow acquired the two cutest kids in the whole world. They aren't dying thanks to Grandma James and Grandma Cooper but I never really learned how to take care of them. Sure, when the thermometer read 104 I took them to the doctor and made sure that they were in bed sometime before dawn, but I was always so busy that I was content to make do with the bare minimum.
Now I'm home with the kids all day and I really like it except that I'm realizing that I don't know what to do with them or what to feed them. Last week Tyler told me that he couldn' t drink his orange juice because his tooth hurt. I ignored him and later that night Jared found a hole in his top right molar the size of a grain of rice. We brush and floss his teeth each night but he hasn't been to the dentist in two years. (I've been scared to take him because last time we went he had 4 cavities and it cost $650 - I know it doesn't make sense but that's the reason).
Anyway, before Jared left for Alabama he gave me an assignment to make up some menu plans so that our kids could start eating something he called vegetables. I googled "vegetables" and got pictures of all sorts of weird things in all sorts of colors (red, orange, green, purple, etc.). I'm not sure Jared knows what he's talking about. Just to same, I'm going to try. As motivation, I have collected some photos of our past poor eating habits.
Derek has shortened macaroni and cheese to just "cheese". The kids also love peanut butter and honey sandwiches and pizza.
Birthday cake is always a cause for celebration.
No one can resist Easter candy...
...or Halloween candy.
This is Rudy's. They claim to be the worst BBQ in Texas. Tyler is eating a sausage and Derek polished off 4 slices of Wonder bread.
The ever popular Otter Pop.
Derek is so starved for fiber, he regularly eats his blanket.
This is Derek crying for some fruit or yogurt rather than the cinnamon roll that I got him for breakfast (see the table in the background).

I will do my best.


4 comments:

Nathan said...

That's funny.

The first morning I was in Hawaii, Stephanie asked me if I was hungry. She then proceeded to cut-up about five different types of fruits and lay them all in front of me. I must have had a good expression on my face, because she slapped her head and cursed, "Cereal!" She opened up the cabinet and fridge to reveal some kind of granola-based cereal and soy-milk. I ate the fruit; at least I tried. There was a lot of it!

Joseph said...

Uh oh. I think we have the same eating habits. Emily's going to get cavities in her gums.

Anonymous said...

Remember the Bill Cosby bit where he decides he's tired of battling the kids, and gives them chocolate cake for breakfast -- after all, it has eggs, milk, wheat in it; all good stuff. The kids are cheering, "Dad is great! He gives us chocolate cake!" until Mom comes onto the scene, whereupon they turn on him and tell her that they wanted fruits and nutritious food, but he made them eat chocolate cake instead. Yeah, I think we've been there, as well, and can relate. Hang in there.

Jared said...

Suzie, the blog is coming along great. I haven't really had a trunky moment until I started going through it. I can't wait to come back home.